Thursday, November 6, 2008

Candy 'holics!

So...yes, you might thing that this is out of control...and it IS!!! For those of you who don't know, you can get amazing deals on treats right after Halloween. I went to Harmon's in Draper, which by the way, is the COOLEST grocery store ever. It is well worth the extra two minutes difference between going there, and going to the Albertson's in Lehi...but I'll tell you all about it in another blog... back to the candy. So...I wander down the leftover Halloween aisle only to see that all Halloween candy is on sale for $1-$2 a bag. Kenny was with me and I suggested we buy a few treats...next thing I know, we are $34 poorer...but I think we did buy some dishwashing detergent as well. :) ...but think about this...we are $29 richer in treats. so...as you can see from this picture, if you ever have a sweet tooth, swing on by. I have it in my food storage, because I strongly believe that you can live off sugar alone for several years. ....which also brings me to my next discussion...is it ever a good deal to buy things just because they are on sale, knowing that you probably don't really need them? I have been trying to be a bargain shopper lately, but have been noticing that I buy things I don't need...like 15 boxes of cereal because it's only $1.50 a box....like 10 2liter bottles of soda because it's free with a mail in rebate... When is bargain shopping really a bargain? or do you find that it just makes you spend more money on things you don't need?


11 comments:

Omgirl said...

What kind of chocolate candy do you have in your stash? Daphne and Beck's halloween treats left me craving some good candy bars that I only eat at Halloween (like Mounds and Twix and Milky Way).

Also, I have realized that bargain shopping just makes me spend more. Unless I'm stocking up on food storage or shopping for specific items that are generally expensive, I just avoid the grocery store ads.

Kenny and Kelli Ray said...

I didn't buy any chocolate...oh the horror! I only bought treats that I thought would last all year...like suckers, hard candies, swedish fish, sour patch kids, etc. SORRY! But if you need the pure indulgence of sugar, you know where to come.

Treasures4u2Share said...

You crack me up totally!!! Did you buy any G'ma candy? Hahaha!

I have to agree that bargain shopping makes me spend more--and I usually end up wishing I wouldn't have bought half the stuff--just because...I'm getting better at saying NO!

By the way I love your new blog look!

Suzy said...

OK. If it is free with a mail in rebate, it doesn't matter if you need it or not. It is worth it. Also, it probably isn't good if you won't be replacing something else. For example, I bought a ton of chicken on sale, which will substitute some meals, but in the long run it is cheaper. Sometimes getting them is wasting money, and sometimes, it is just the splurge you need. Maybe getting the candy will mean treats and a movie at home instead ofa movie at the theater, which means the candy is a good deal. Now I'm rambling!

Ashley said...

Hahahaha....I think that you food storage is well stocked. And as far as good deals well I just buy what I need. I can't figure the food storage thing out. I don't eat canned foods really so what I am supposed to store?

The Scotts said...

Oh girl, how I miss you and I wish I was there to eat some candy with you! I have plenty though from 4 kids Trick or Treating. As for the shopping, I always find myself buying more when things are on sale and they are things I normally wouldn't buy. If I go with a list I tend to buy less of those things.

The Queen Bee said...

Stephen says; "Buying something you don't need, that's on sale- is still something you don't need." :)

Christy said...

I love Harmons too. We were supposed get one here, but they backed out. That is one of my requirements for my next house, a Harmons near by. Love their meat department and fresh produce and cheese. Okay, everything!!!

Christy said...

PS I should have thought of you when I mailed the kids' candy to James' brothers in Texas. Yes I really did. I was sick of the kids asking for candy every five minutes. It would have been cheaper!

Doreen said...

I totally spend tons more and usually on CRAP that I really don't use/need like 10 boxes of cereal that my kids don't really like. I am all over the Harmons in draper. I am pretty sure that Oprah has that on her Favorite things list this year! It is on mine!!

Aloha said...

If you have some candy left!!!! and would like to unload some I could use some for the Bishop to use in his candy jar!!!

Kitty